Friday, February 12, 2010

AN OPEN LETTER FROM COL. ARIEL O. QUERUBIN

SA AKING MAHAL NA KABABAYAN…

May God Almighty be with you!

I have no doubt in my mind that the Lord has all the while been preparing me for public service. I was left for dead in 1989. He allowed me to spring back to life. I have been imprisoned as a soldier, but I fully regained the honor after having been awarded the Medal of Valor in 2001. As my military career was very much back on track, I was again challenged to choose between right and wrong, between honor and injustice, between good and evil.

Even as we all work for a vibrant and prosperous Philippines, my dream is for every Filipino to enjoy the essence of freedom from poverty, fear and injustice, to feel the tangible benefits of good governance and to live comfortably in a society that fosters the unity of the family, protects human rights, and upholds the dignity of all.

I have not had an easy life. My life story has been replete with vivid encounters with injustice, poverty, corruption and war. These painful experiences have shaped this dream. I never succumbed to the lure of material wealth. The physical, mental, and emotional hardships have been painful, but I never sold my soul.

As a young soldier, armed with idealism and the fire of youth, I have offered my life to defend the country from ALL, its enemies. I have suffered long and hard for the principles that I hold dearly. Many of my loved ones have suffered with me – maybe not physically, but certainly have shared in the misery and hardships that I have endured. The fire of idealism still burns in me, but I have been wiser not to engage fire with fire.

With a lot of circumspection and prayer, I have decided to run for the senate in 2010. I have no political pedigree. I have no political machinery. I have no financial resources. But I do have honor. I do have principles. I do have courage. TAPANG at PRINSIPYO lang po.

I believer I am ready to take on this new role, with your prayers and support the dream is not too far-fetched. It takes the collective effort of every member of this society to make things improve for a country in disarray…a country whose hope is running dry.

All I can do, on my end, is to make the best effort possible to make society better, stand by my principles, and fight for what is right. This I will do, if not for myself and our generation, then at least for our young children. There is still hope for this country and people we just have to unite for change.

Warm personal regards and God bless. Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!

Sincerely yours,

COL. ARIEL O. QUERUBIN

No comments: